Thursday, February 1, 2024

G is for Gingerbread

Early in the pandemic, 2020 to be specific, my husband and I found ourselves watching a lot more television than we used to. Cheering ourselves up with Christmas programing in December, one night we stumbled on a documentary called Gingerbread Journeys (2015). I’m a foodie and he’s a history geek, so we decided to give it a try. It’s a super deep dive on the topic and we learned a lot. A whole lot.

Afterward, it occurred to me that I had at least one not-modern gingerbread recipe in my pile of cookbooks. I wondered if I had enough different recipes, specifically from different time periods, to make for an interesting baking project. It turned out the answer to that was a big ol’ “yes,” thanks both to The Joy of Cooking and a book I have with recipes based on 13th and 14th century sources.


So I thought I’d undertake The Gingerbread Project. And then, lo, many years passed. It’s a little hard to undertake a big project at Christmas, when so many other things are already going on. Also, my household is not a great match for large baking undertakings, as there are only two of us and one of us (hi) is diabetic.


But this year is kind of a “put languishing projects to rest” year for me. And it occurred to me that one gingerbread recipe per month is not a terribly intense undertaking. Plus, hey, regularly occurring obvious deadline, FTW. At least, I hope so. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment